Monday, November 29, 2004

Struck by smarties

As I began to type, I noticed how smart even a letterhead could be. That really opened my eyes. You don't have to be humdrum and lacklustre. You have right to look smart and good. That's how these people make their stationery. That must be how they would look in person, I thought to myself. I looked forward to a chance of meeting some of them. I wasn't disappointed.

Some of these businessmen were smart, confident and smooth in their talk. There were some advocates and also some doctors. I thought these professionals really knew how to carry themselves. I wanted to learn that. I would try and find out where they came from, what they did and what they wanted to do in life. I had this overwhelming desire to be like them : smart, confident and suave. But I had no clue how to be that way. Perhaps their youth, money and education gave them that edge.

I got familiar with the callers and visitors and some of them appeared quite friendly. I could ask them a question or two outside the official talk. Some of them told my boss that they liked the way I handled their calls and coordinated their business for them. One such person was Dr Cholkar, the influential Dean of a well-known hospital in the city. He was well known in the social circles, every other week he would be speaking at some public function and would get a mention or two in the press.

He told my boss that this girl was not only a receptionist but an efficient administrator. I had once got his appointment with my Boss changed and also got his tickets booked for a film he wanted to see with his wife. He had merely said on the phone that he was not sure if he could meet my Boss at the appointed time as his wife was interested in seeing a film. He hadn't got the tickets but would soon be sending someone there. I said I could do that for him since the cinemahall was closer to our office. I put the cash together and got him the tickets. That impressed him no end. I didn't know his exact business relationship with the boss, but knew they were pretty close and that my Boss had great respect for the reputed Surgeon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home